Thursday, March 8, 2012

Success #10: Brad Radke


Brad Radke is the success that I am the most excited about and proud of. He's one of my favorite all-time Twins. He was a loyal, hard working pitcher who left everything he had on the turf in the Metrodome. The day he happily retired, was a sad day for Twins fans because he had become a staple in the starting rotation. I so wish he could've played in Target Field.

This past winter marked the first time since retiring, that Radke made an appearance at TwinsFest. He was one of the primary reasons I wanted to go! When my plans fell through (thanks Taylor!), I jump-started this hobby. I have searched far and wide for addresses for Radke and come up with a couple in Clearwater Beach, FL and Largo, FL. Neither had very high success rates. It didn't appear that Radke was a reliable through the mail signer.

I kept researching and found a different address (one I am not going to reveal). I located it on a Florida real estate mapping website. It pointed toward a plot of land that Brad and his wife, Heather Radke, had purchased and built a house on in 2009. I took a chance and sent an 8x10 to that address. Maybe Radke's not such a poor through the mail signer after all!

Radke spent 12 years with the Twins. He suffered through the awful mid-to-late 90's and became a leader on the team as they were resurrected in the early 2000s. He finished third in voting for the Cy Young Award in 1997 and was an All-Star in 1998. In 2009, the Twins inducted Radke into their Hall of Fame. 

I debated whether or not to send the 8x10 or a baseball. I think I would have rather had a signed baseball from him, but it's cool to get some variety in my collection. Who knows, maybe I'll even send him a baseball someday soon and push my luck.

Mailed: 2/10/12
Received: 2/24/12 (14 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment