Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Success #19: Dan Gladden


There's a special place in my childhood memories for "The Dazzle Man" Dan Gladden. I don't know what it was about him, but I remember him as one of my favorites. Maybe it was his long hair and how it made him look and play like a wild thing. Maybe it was his outfield position, always my favorite. Maybe it was his game winning run in the 10th inning of Game 7 of the 1991 World Series. 

Either way, I remember Dan Gladden as one of my favorites growing up. Gladden had a phenomenal rookie season with the San Francisco Giants and finished 4th in the Rookie of the Year Award voting in 1984 after batting .351 in 384 plate appearances. In 1987, Gladden was traded to the Twins and helped them win their first World Series in his first season. After winning his second World Series with the Twins in 1991, Gladden signed as a free agent with the Detroit Tigers. 

Gladden had decent years as a Twin, but is probably more of a fan favorite because of his involvement with the team's two World Series Championships and because of his involvement with the team's radio network after his career ended. In his 4 seasons with the Twins, his batting averages ranged from the .240s to the .290s. 

In 1993, Gladden left the Tigers because of the impending MLB players strike and played a season in Japan, where he won a Japan Series Championship. When he returned to the MLB it was with the Minnesota Twins again, but as a scout in 1995. In 2000, Gladden became the color commentator on the Twins Radio Network, alongside Herb Carneal and John Gordon. Gladden still works for the Twins Radio Network with Cory Provus.

I've noted the seven Twins before, who were members of both the 1987 and 1991 World Series teams. Gladden was one of them. Kirby Puckett remains the only one that I will never be able to get, without purchasing. I sent Gladden's baseball to Target Field and received it in 22 days. I've had decent luck with sending items directly to Target Field lately. I'm not sure if I want to push my luck though.

Mailed: 4/10/12
Received: 5/2/12 (22 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment