Thursday, February 16, 2012

Success #5: Jim Kaat


Talk about longevity! In 25 seasons with MLB teams, Jim Kaat boasts a career ERA of 3.45! He had nearly 2,500 strikeouts and won 16 Gold Glove awards in his 25 seasons. All things considered, Jim Kaat should be in the Hall of Fame. He is in the Minnesota Twins Hall of Fame and many Twins fans believe his #36 should be retired as well. For now, that will have to suffice. Unless of course the veterans committee wises up and puts forth the effort to get him in the Hall.

I had a heck of a time tracking down Kaat's address. After reading about him and following his blog, he became someone I just had to get to sign a ball. I have a feeling he would have been one of my favorites from the Twins teams in the '60's. The only reason he didn't win a Cy Young in 1966, the year following the Twins' World Series loss to the Dodgers, but the league didn't separate AL from the NL and instead awarded just one pitcher. Sandy Koufax walked away with the honor.

I found a few addresses for Kaat with recent through the mail successes. However after stumbling upon a news article online, featuring Kaat in his Stuart, FL home along the St. Lucie river, suddenly the other addresses didn't make sense. Further research made it seem that Kaat has an agency handle his through the mail requests. I kept searching and soon enough stumbled upon an address in Stuart, FL and Google Earth would confirm it's location on the St. Lucie river. I took a shot and sent my request there, along with a $10 check. (Later I panicked upon uncovering a $25 fee request for through the mail autograph requests! And that Kaat was a stickler about paying, often sending back items unsigned!)

Well in just six short days, my risk became a success. Kaat returned my ball signed, and returned my check! Obviously I stumbled upon his home address and caught him at home! He did send along a donation envelope for a foundation he started in memory of his third wife, MaryAnn Kaat, implying that if I wanted to still donate a sum for the signed ball, to send the donation there. Kaat married his current (fourth) wife Margie a year after MaryAnn passed.

Mailed: 2/7/12
Received: 2/13/12 (6 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment