Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Success #3: Greg Gagne


I swear, my successes keep coming faster and faster. Maybe sending baseballs out is paying off because guys don't like them laying around their house. Or more specifically, maybe guys' wives don't like them laying around the house so they get signed and mailed fast. I know my wife doesn't! I was impressed when Kevin Tapani returned a ball to me in 10 days. When Jeff Reardon's came in 7 days (just a few days after he returned home from TwinsFest), I was elated. Even though I have a handful of baseballs out there in the world, waiting to be signed and returned, today really wasn't a day I expected to see anything in my mailbox. So imagine my surprise when a nice 6x9, self addressed stamped bubble mailer was waiting for me.

I love the feeling of not knowing what's inside. I knew it had to be one of 5 players but didn't know which one until I opened . . . and even then I wasn't entirely sure! The signature threw me off . . . but by the process of elimination, and the "John 3:16" inscription, I quickly figured out who this ball was from.

Greg Gagne was one of 7 Twins to be on both the 1987 World Series Championship team and the 1991 World Series Championship team. He was a very underrated shortstop in his day, but nonetheless, a catalyst for the team reaching and winning the World Series not just once, but twice. He wasn't always the most productive at the plate, but in those two postseason runs, he made his hits count and came up big in multiple clutch moments. In 1992, when Gagne became a free agent, the team wasn't able to give him the money he deserved due in part to having already opened the wallet to lock in Kirby Puckett and also due to the fact that Gagne's protege Pat Meares was on the roster and ready to roll. Gagne went on to play for the Royals and the Dodgers, before leaving baseball in 1997. He now coaches high school baseball in Massachusetts.

Gagne was very religious and could often be seen reading from his Bible after games had completed. He was always one of my favorite players. It's comforting to find out that he's also a good guy!

Mailed: 1/31/12
Received: 2/6/12 (6 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment