Monday, January 30, 2012

Success #1: Kevin Tapani


10 days.

10 days is all it took for Mr. Tapani to sign my baseball and mail it back to me! I've hardly begun and I've found success! I do hope my system works to return the baseballs to me safely, as I notice a small smudge on Tapani's "K" to start his name. Not too shabby otherwise!

I can remember vividly getting Kevin Tapani's rookie card in a pack of Upper Decks in 1990. I thought it was awesome because it was one of the first Twins rookie players I had gotten. Tapani went on to get Rookie of the Year votes after a great rookie season.

In 1991, he finished 16-9 with a 2.99 ERA. He placed 7th in voting for the Cy Young behind winner Roger Clemens, and teammates Scott Erickson and Jack Morris. Tapani was the Twins #2 starter in '91. He would pitch and notch the "W" in Game 2 of the '91 World Series but recorded a loss as the starting pitcher of Game 5, though it was hardly his fault. Tapani was pulled entering the bottom of the seventh with the Twins trailing by two runs. His replacement would give up 6 runs and the Twins wouldn't recover.

In my letter of request to Tapani, I remarked that two of my favorite Twins have worn the number 36. He in the 90s, and more recently Joe Nathan. Tapani went on to pitch for the Cubs and Dodgers and his number changed. Autographed baseballs I've seen of his online do not have a uniform number inscription. Mine has a "#36" above his name. I couldn't help but think it was a nice personal touch, added by Tapani after reading my letter.

Mailed: 1/18/12
Received: 1/28/12 (10 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment