Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Panic?

I only started mailing items two weeks ago, and already, panic is setting in. Maybe I'm not patient enough for a task like this . . .

For instance, what's on my mind currently is that I sent out baseballs to Jeff Reardon (5 days ago) and Jim Perry (1 day ago) and last night found a resource online, including both in a list of current players that ask for a fee to sign through the mail!

I thought I had done extensive research. I had found multiple address confirmations and recent success stories online, without a single mention anywhere of a fee. The only player that I discovered asks for a fee is Frank Viola, and I was more than willing to pay him $10.

What will happen to my items? I sent out Perry's just yesterday so I was able to send a check today to him along with a very short apology note. Hopefully it gets there before he receives and possibly discards my baseball. Or will bombarding him with two envelopes instead of one turn him off from signing my ball?

ARGH!!!!!

What I really hope, is that both men feel sorry for the poor sucker that didn't realize they requested a fee, sign my ball, and return it anyways. I made it so it would literally take 2-3 seconds to make that happen. That might be wishful thinking and I might be smacked in the face with the harsh reality that some guys, might not be as willing to sign things as others. For some reason or not, regardless of how irrational it may seem to me! Maybe Kevin Tapani spoiled me!

Worse case scenario, both men keep my ball and discard it. That would suck. A slightly better scenario would be both men at least returning my ball and informing me of their signing fee. Hopefully Perry gets my $10 in time and that helps make his mind up, toward signing my ball. Having three possible scenarios makes me feel better. As if there's a less chance of the worse case scenario happening. But what happens when the worst case scenario is the most probable?

Lesson learned: I may have to break down and purchase Harvey's Address List book if I want to make this collection a reality. He lists players that request fees, which takes a lot of this guesswork out of the equation for me.

Additional lesson learned: I can't expect everything I send out to be returned. No matter how "easy" I think I've made it for the signer. Some guys, just might not sign.

Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment